About Chiropractor Near Smithtown
Chiropractic is the largest natural primary health care profession in the world. It is the art, science and philosophy of realigning vertebrae (bones) that are out of alignment in the spine to restore function in the nervous system (nerves).
The human body is controlled by nerves. Everything (circulation, breathing, etc.) is under the direction of this unbelievably complicated system. If the impulses of this network are transmitted normally to and from the brain without interference, the body will be at its optimum and able to ward off disease to the best of its ability.
If these impulses are stopped or interfered with, the area dependent upon them will malfunction and/or become diseased. When a vertebra in your spine becomes misaligned (subluxated), it can cause nerve interference.
Chiropractic is the only profession that utilizes gentle spinal alignments to remove nerve interference so that the body can heal itself.
Chiropractors focus on the spine and the nervous system to correct problems throughout the body. Although my practice is principally focused on muscle, bone (spine, neck, lower back) and nerve pain, many patients relate other problems and are relieved due to chiropractic treatment. This may be due to pressure removed from the nerve by movement of the bone off of the nerve. Most chiropractors believe this to be so.
Recent Blog Posts From Chiropractor Near Smithtown
How Chiropractic Care Can Treat Your Allergies
Spring has finally sprung! Most of us wait all year for this beautiful change of the seasons that indicates that summer is on its way. However, many of us experience severe allergies with the change of the seasons. The increase in pollen, flowers, grasses, and weeds can lead to an increase of sneezes, coughs, and runny noses for many. Did you know that chiropractic care has been shown to reduce allergy symptoms? Dr. Raymond Semente, our leading chiropractor near Smithtown, can treat a variety of bodily conditions.
What many people who suffer from severe allergies aren’t aware of is that an excess amount of over-the-counter medication is not always the answer. We can provide you a holistic solution to keep your allergies at bay. Because the immune system is so closely associated with the nervous system, allergies can be treated through chiropractic care by helping to regulate and coordinate the body’s reaction to allergens.
How Can a Chiropractor Help?
Ways a chiropractor can help treat allergies include:
- Recommend dietary and lifestyle changes to help target foods or other factors that may be causing allergic reactions.
- Support the respiratory system by keeping pathways open and strengthening the system to better withstand potential reactions to allergens.
- Strengthen the immune system by adjusting misalignments in the spine/neck that can disrupt the brain’s communication with the body. A chiropractor can manipulate joints and tissues to realign the body and re-open blocked pathways between the spine and the brain.
- Use spine realignment to help regulate the body’s production of cortisol and strengthen the adrenal glands.
A chiropractor can help to put an end to your suffering created by allergies. Enjoy the spring and let our chiropractor near Smithtown determine what treatment option is right for you. Dr. Raymond Semente and his team will assess your symptoms and create a course of action to get you the allergy relief you need. Contact our office today and stop suffering this season!
What is spinal decompression?
Spinal decompression therapy is a non-surgical option to help treat back pain you may be experiencing. While the name of the treatment itself may sound invasive, our chiropractor near Smithtown can assure you that it’s a gentle process that will give you the results you’re striving for. Dr. Raymond Semente can administer top-quality spinal decompression and give you the help you need today.
A spinal decompression table is one treatment option we offer. Our chiropractor near Smithtown, Dr. Raymond Semente, offers this state-of-the-art, painless solution for your medical needs. Each session lasts about 45 minutes, and the number of treatments may vary depending on the severity of your back condition.
What can spinal decompression treat?
There are many conditions that spinal decompression therapy could treat. Some of the injuries and ailments it can help with include the following:
- Bulging or herniated disks – a ruptured disk that is leaking, which irritates nerves.
- Sciatica – when the sciatic nerve is injured and or pressured, it creates back pain.
- Degenerative disc disease – lower back pain, related to age and wear and tear on discs over time.
- Injured or diseased spinal nerve roots – can cause profound neurological damage, including severe motor and sensory loss due to a herniated disc.
- Spinal stenosis – this occurs when the small spinal canal, which contains nerve roots and spinal cord, becomes compressed.
- Posterior facet syndrome – a disfunction at the level of the posterior facet joints of the spine, which causes pain, numbness, and muscle weakness.
There’s no back condition that Dr. Semente can’t handle. With his years of experience, he’s ready to administer his techniques and treatments to whatever ailment you have. If you’re at a loss and don’t know how to relieve your back pain, our chiropractor near Smithtown can help you today. Call us to schedule an appointment!
Symptoms of Whiplash
Whiplash is typically caused by a sudden distortion of the neck, often as a result of a traumatic incident such as a car accident. The injury can occur in any direction, often resulting in discomfort. Whiplash can also occur from playing different kinds of contact sports. Football is a primary cause of whiplash since it results in high impact collisions between oncoming defenders and the ball carrier. However, car accidents are the number one cause of whiplash in the majority of cases. Even small fender benders can cause your neck to move in odd directions, creating long-lasting discomfort. In other rare cases, amusement park rides can also cause this type of injury. During these instances, the ligaments in the neck are strained and become unstable.
Dr. Semente, our chiropractor in Nesconset, can help with any pain you are experiencing and answer any questions that you may have developed. Whiplash can be very painful and the discomfort usually worsens within 12-24 hours from the sprain. The next day you will likely experience a lot of neck stiffness and pain. People who have whiplash may experience:
- Migraine headaches – This is due to the injury of the neck.
- Difficulty moving the neck and the lack of flexibility in the neck – Can’t look right to left without having any pain.
- Tenderness and pain on the back of the neck.
- Lower-back pain.
- Feeling dizzy when standing and having numbness or pain in your neck (pins and needles feeling).
- Vertigo and spinning sensations.
Less common symptoms of whiplash include having a hard time concentrating, memory loss, and being very irritable.
A medical professional may have you do an MRI, X-ray, or CT-scan to see if it is just whiplash or if it is another complication. Treatment can include exercise with repetitive movements that will help build back your muscle and instability. Only start this when the pain has been reduced. Start off with light exercise to the neck to get movement back. Depending on how severe the whiplash is, it can take up to 1-4 weeks to fully recover.
By reaching out to our chiropractor near Smithtown, Dr. Semente can provide treatments that will help aid your whiplash symptoms. Contact his office today for further information.
Can a Chiropractor Help Your Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis, or “brittle bone” condition, is a health condition millions of people face. Those who suffer from osteoporosis experience an extremely low amount of bone density and can lead to increased bone fractures and breaks. If you have been searching for a chiropractor near Smithtown, contact Dr. Semente today. We offer a wide range of treatments and services that can help ease your osteoporosis symptoms!
What is osteoporosis?
In an average human bone, it is normal for there to be small spaces within it; it resembles something similar to a honeycomb-like structure. In the case of someone who has osteoporosis, the grooves in the honeycombs become larger, weakening the density of the bone.
This condition can occur at any age but is most often prevalent in those who are older. Other key causes of getting osteoporosis include, but are not limited to:
- Medical conditions such as hyperthyroidism
- Poor nutrition
- Being female
- History of smoking
- Low body weight
- Family history of osteoporosis
What are the symptoms?
Symptoms of osteoporosis can range depending on what stage of your condition you may be in. Some of the most common signs of osteoporosis include receding gums, weakened or brittle nails, and weakened grip strength. Those who have a more severe case of osteoporosis may experience a wider range of symptoms, such as:
- Fractures due to a fall, sneezing, or coughing
- Neck and/or back pain
- Decrease in height
- Weakened amount of strength
What steps can a chiropractor take to treating this condition
A chiropractor can be extremely helpful for treating pain related to osteoporosis. Acupuncture is typically recommended to pinpoint back and neck pain. This treatment has been proven to effectively reduce discomfort by stimulating areas in the body to unblock neural pathways. Massage therapy can also help to dramatically relieve back and neck pain. While it can be relaxing, it’s just as effective therapeutically as well.
If you have been searching for a chiropractor near Smithtown, Dr. Semente offers a wide range of acupuncture and massage therapy options that can help relieve side effects from your osteoporosis condition. Searching for a chiropractor near Smithtown doesn’t have to be difficult. Schedule an appointment today to see how our talented group can help you!
Managing Back Pain After Lifting Weights
Lifting weights can be a great way to build muscle and improve overall health, but it could also be a contributing factor to back pain when executed incorrectly. Weight lifting can improve spinal strength, but it’s important to lift smartly to prevent injuries. Back pain should not be ignored, as waiting could lead to further injuries and pain. Dr. Semente is an established chiropractor near Smithtown who can provide treatment for issues related to back and spinal pain.
Lifting weights incorrectly or lifting too much weight at once can lead to problems. Some potential issues are as follows:
- Joint stress: certain weight-lifting methods can lead to joint and soft-tissue pain. Avoid the following workouts if you’re experiencing pain: squats, snatch, dead-lift, and the clean-and-jerk.
- Muscle strain: Extending or using your back against too much weight can lead to ligament issues or muscle strains. Muscle strains are commonly referred to as a pulled muscle and occurs when fibers in the muscles are overstretched or used without a break.
Fortunately, most back-related issues caused by lifting weights are easily preventable once the proper methods are understood.
Weight lifting should be understood as an art; a process that can improve over time. There are certain methods that can help prevent weight lifters from developing back issues. Here are some tips and strategies you can follow:
- Learn your limit: It’s important to know how much you can handle when it comes to lifting weights. Lifting weights that are way too heavy for you can be problematic. It is better to do more reps with a lighter weight than it is to do fewer reps with a heavier weight.
- Use a training machine: When starting off, a training machine might be the better choice as it can provide less stress on the back when compared to lifting free weights.
- Use a spotter: An obvious but often overlooked tip is to use a spotter. Spotters can help prevent serious injuries that could be easily prevented with their aid.
- Have the correct posture: Performing exercises and lifting weights requires good posture. No matter the workout or weight, make sure to do it correctly, with the right posture. Having the wrong stance, or posture could make the exercise useless, and even worse, lead to injury.
Get the right help:
Lifting weights is a great way to improve spinal strength but has to be done correctly. Having back pain should not be a reason for skipping lifting weights during a workout, as it can help build a strong back. Getting help prior to weight lifting is important, as understanding your back condition is crucial. Chiropractors can help provide an evaluation on your back and provide the proper treatment based on your condition.
Are you experiencing back pain or beginning to lift weights? Contact Dr. Semente, an established chiropractor near Smithtown to get the help you’re looking for.