Acupuncture is a medical practice that involves stimulating multiple points on the body with a needle to alleviate pain or treat various medical conditions. Acupuncture creates blood flow to restore nerve damage caused by a pinched nerve. It works by stimulating certain areas of the body that have blocked energy. The placement of the needles is meant to unblock the pathway for this energy to flow. There are many benefits to this medical practice, and acupuncture near Smithtown could be a perfect option for you.
A pinched nerve occurs when there is an intense amount of pressure or swelling on a nerve creating sharp pains and discomfort. The most vulnerable places for pinched nerves are your ligaments, tendons, and bones. Nerves have to travel through small spaces, however, in your ligaments, tendons, and bones, these areas have little soft tissue to protect them. If one of these spaces shrinks, it can squeeze the nerve root and cause symptoms in the area served by the nerve. When high amounts of pressure are placed on a nerve it can create problems for someone’s everyday life. The symptoms of a pinched nerve are:
- Numbness in the area supplied by the nerve.
- Sharp, aching, or burning pain.
- Pins and needles sensation.
- Loss of muscles strength near the nerve
There are a variety of methods for treating a pinched nerve, but a chiropractor who specializes in acupuncture near Smithtown can help treat this condition in addition to many other health problems. Age-related degenerative changes in the spine caused by seventy to ninety percent of all pinched nerve cases.
What Should You Do?
Do not leave your pinched nerve untreated. The pressure from the nerve could cause chronic pain and even potentially permanent nerve damage. If you have a pinched nerve, be sure to:
- Get extra sleep and rest – The body repairs itself during sleep and will allow you to reduce the symptoms faster.
- Change your posture – Standing or sitting with poor posture will put unnecessary stress on the body, which could damage the spine and muscles.
- Stretch – Relieves tension and pressure on the affected area.
- Change your lifestyle – Adding low-impact exercise to your daily routine will help reduce your symptoms and keep you in shape.
Acupuncture Near Smithtown
Acupuncture is a very safe, drug-free, generally painless, major pain relief option. Dr. Raymond Semente can diagnose your pinched nerve and will provide you with some of the best possible acupuncture near Smithtown. Contact him today at 631-584-7722, or on his website!