The spine is made up of vertebrae which are cushioned and separated by tiny rubber-like discs. When overworked, these discs can slip out of place or rupture, causing excruciating pain. Back pain is common but many avoid seeking assistance in fear their condition may need surgery. Justifiably so, back surgery can take many months to fully recover from. However, many back injuries and conditions, including herniated discs, offer nonsurgical methods of treatment to alleviate symptoms. St. James chiropractor Dr. Raymond Semente a St. James Chiropractor alleviates back pain stemming from herniated discs through spinal adjustments and other nonsurgical means. Chiropractic care has proven to aid herniated disc pain, by moving the disc away from the nerve it’s irritating, which then reduces inflammation. Not only is chiropractic care nonsurgical, but it offers drug-free pain relief as well.
Chiropractic Care For Herniated Disk
A St. James Chiropractor can offer you relief from your herniated disk pain and potentially serve as an alternative to having to go through surgery or taking medications! During your first visit for a herniated disk, a St. James chiropractor will assess your injury and see if there is any loss of strength or feeling in the affected area. This will help determine the severity of your injury and your discomfort. After diagnosing your complication and determining that you are indeed suffering from a herniated disk, a chiropractor will ascertain the best means of treatment to alleviate you of your symptoms. Some treatment options from our St. James Chiropractor may include a few of the following:
- Flexion-Distraction Technique – This involves the use of a specialized table that allows a chiropractor to isolate the affected area while also helping to stretch your spine and back. This treatment can help improve symptoms of herniated disks as well as improve disk height.
- Pelvic Blocking Technique– A chiropractor uses cushioned wedges on either side of your pelvis. Light exercises may also be performed to help change the mechanics of your hips, helping to relieve the tension on your disks.
Outside of spinal manipulation, here are some other ways to relieve herniated disc pain without surgery.
- Medication – Anti-inflammatory medication can be taken to reduce the swelling of your discs and the surrounding area. Muscle relaxants may be prescribed to help calm the muscles in pain, especially if you are experiencing spasms of any kind.
- Acupuncture – Tiny needles inserted into various points around the body help to release endorphins and other natural pain-killers in order to heal a variety of ailments.
- Massage Therapy – Increases blood flow and relaxes the surrounding muscles. Like acupuncture, it is proven to release the body’s natural pain relievers (endorphins).
Herniated discs don’t always need surgery and they don’t need to keep you from doing what you love any longer. Dr. Raymond Semente is an experienced St. James chiropractor who is determined to get you the treatment you need. To give his patients the most innovative up-to-date technology when they visit, Dr. Semente offers Autotrax Spinal Decompression Therapy to pinpoint individual discs for decompression and pain relief.
St. James Chiropractor
If you’re looking for a St. James chiropractor, contact Dr. Raymond Semente to find out more about how chiropractic care can help with herniated discs. Discover more ways that Dr. Semente makes pain relief without surgery possible. Schedule an appointment today!