Acupuncture Benefits For Back Pain
Many people experience back pain on a daily basis which in time, can take a toll on your quality of life. With numerous treatment options available, it can be overwhelming to find something that works best for you. Something many people have found to be beneficial is the holistic healing method of acupuncture. If you are looking for acupuncture in St. James, this is one of our specialties.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a form of Chinese medicine with the general premise that the body contains specific patterns of energy flow. This energy is referred to as qi and the proper flow on qi is vital in order to maintain health. There is believed to be over 2,000 points on the human body that connect with 20 pathways, which conduct the qi throughout the body. Specialists use these points in order to correct and maintain the flow of qi and return the body to the proper state of health.
How does it work?
Acupuncture works by using a very thin needle to penetrate the skin in order to alleviate pain. Acupuncture helps stimulate your nervous system by placing the needles in specific points of the body. This signals the nerves which causes them to release chemicals from the spinal cord, muscles, and brain. The brain releases endorphins, a natural painkiller providing long-lasting relief. Most patients experience pain relief and a decrease in numbness and tingling after their first few treatments.
Benefits of acupuncture in St. James for back pain include:
- Increase in circulation
- Chinese medicine calls this the phenomenon of being stuck in “stagnation”. This occurs when there is not enough energy to move the blood through the blood vessels properly. With a specific selection of acupuncture points, blood can begin moving again which in result increases circulation.
- Range of motion
- Acupuncture allows for muscle relaxation which helps increase your range of motion, combatting any stiffness you may be suffering from.
- Decreases inflammation
- By improving the blood flow to the affected area, strengthening the corresponding areas of weakness and relieving imbalances of tightness, reduces inflammation.
Other conditions acupuncture can help with are:
- Herniated discs
- Chronic back pain
- Bad posture
Other benefits of acupuncture include:
- Decrease in stress levels
- When the needle is inserted in a specific area our body secretes an assortment of hormones into the bloodstream as a reaction to counter stress.
- Improves immune system
- Acupuncture increases the number of white blood cells in the body which makes the immune system to moderate itself allowing it to react quickly and strongly to any foreign threats.
Acupuncture in St. James is a safe and painless treatment option, with minimal risks and side effects. If you are looking for back pain relief and want to learn more about how acupuncture can help you, contact Dr. Raymond Semete today to schedule an appointment!